The National Football League announced that it was moving three games because of COVID issues with players and coaches, with two games being played in primetime on Tuesday.
The Seattle Seahawks-Los Angeles Rams game and the Washington Football Team-Philadelphia Eagles contest, both originally scheduled for Sunday will be played Tuesday at 7 p.m. Fox will broadcast both games regionally.
According to Fox research guru Michael Mulvihill, 70% of the country will see Washington-Philadelphia with the other 30% getting Seattle vs the Rams.
Mulvihill tweeted that he thinks this is the first time there has been regionalized NFL games in primetime. NFL games are routinely regionalized on Sundays.
The NFL said Friday it was moving three of this weekend’s games as COVID and other health concerns affect player rosters.
The NFL also moved the Las Vegas Raiders game against the Cleveland Browns from Saturday to Monday evening at 5 p.m. It will be televised on the NFL Network before the Minnesota Vikings play the Chicago Bears on ESPN’s Monday Night Football.
"We have made these schedule changes based on medical advice and after discussion with the NFLPA as we are seeing a new, highly transmissible form of the virus this week resulting in a substantial increase in cases across the league," the NFL said in a statement. "We continue to make decisions in consultation with medical experts to ensure the health and safety of the NFL community." ■
Jon has been business editor of Broadcasting+Cable since 2010. He focuses on revenue-generating activities, including advertising and distribution, as well as executive intrigue and merger and acquisition activity. Just about any story is fair game, if a dollar sign can make its way into the article. Before B+C, Jon covered the industry for TVWeek, Cable World, Electronic Media, Advertising Age and The New York Post. A native New Yorker, Jon is hiding in plain sight in the suburbs of Chicago.
The smarter way to stay on top of broadcasting and cable industry. Sign up below.
Thank you for signing up to Broadcasting & Cable. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.