Consumers aren’t comfortable with their data being collected by smart TVs, according to a survey conducted by Videa, Cox Media’s automated ad platform.
The survey found that 48% of consumers said they were somewhat, mostly or completely uncomfortable with advertisers collecting smart TV data. Only 39% said they are somewhat, mostly or completely comfortable with their data being collected by advertisers.
The answer most given was that they were completely uncomfortable with 21%.
Speaking of cord-cutting, consumers surveyed said they would miss live programming or specific programs if they gave up their pay-TV subscriptions. They also said they would miss news channels, weather, sports, channel surfing and the variety they now get.
In these divisive times, the survey found that 61% said they had some or a lot of trust in the information they get from local news organizations.
Last year, the Pew Research Center did a survey and found that 22% of the adults it surveyed had a lot of trust in local news and that another 60% had some trust, for a total of 82%.
That compared to 18% who had a lot of trust in national news organizations and 59% who had some trust.
Social media had only 4% saying they had a lot of trust and 30% had some trust, according to the Pew study.
Videa’s survey found that 59% of the respondents said they get their local news from TV, compared to 38% via social media, 36% from print and 36% from local radio.
Among viewers who said they had a clear preference, 62% said they trusted local news over national news, while 38% said they trusted national news more.
Of those trusting local news, 31% said they trust it because there is less bias or no political agenda, the survey found.
Videa's survey was conducted online with 1,145 adults responding between March 21-22. The figures have been weighted to make them representative of all U.S. adults.
Jon has been business editor of Broadcasting+Cable since 2010. He focuses on revenue-generating activities, including advertising and distribution, as well as executive intrigue and merger and acquisition activity. Just about any story is fair game, if a dollar sign can make its way into the article. Before B+C, Jon covered the industry for TVWeek, Cable World, Electronic Media, Advertising Age and The New York Post. A native New Yorker, Jon is hiding in plain sight in the suburbs of Chicago.
The smarter way to stay on top of broadcasting and cable industry. Sign up below.
Thank you for signing up to Broadcasting & Cable. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.