Canoe, the ad tech company owned by the top cable operators, said that it served commercials resulting in more than 6.2 billion impressions in on-demand programming in the third quarter.
So far this year, impressions are up 17%.
Digital and IP based devices now account for about 25% of the impressions. The other 75% are delivered via traditional QAM-based cable boxes.
The bulk of the impressions—81% are being bought by advertisers, while 19% are being used for TV network tune in spots. Of the ads bought by marketers, 90% were sold through direct sales teams, with 10% going through private marketplaces.
Canoe says ad load remain low during VOD programming, with an average of four ads appearing in mid-roll pods. Repetition of ads, a problem with VOD, is less of an issue with 72% of consumers seeing ads only once per episode.
Jon has been business editor of Broadcasting+Cable since 2010. He focuses on revenue-generating activities, including advertising and distribution, as well as executive intrigue and merger and acquisition activity. Just about any story is fair game, if a dollar sign can make its way into the article. Before B+C, Jon covered the industry for TVWeek, Cable World, Electronic Media, Advertising Age and The New York Post. A native New Yorker, Jon is hiding in plain sight in the suburbs of Chicago.
Thank you for signing up to Broadcasting & Cable. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.