Univision Deportes Delivers Blockbuster Sports Ratings in 3Q14
In 3Q14, Univision Deportes, the sports division of Univision Communications Inc., aired the top 5 most-viewed soccer matches on all TV among Adults 18-49 since the World Cup, regardless of language.
UniMás’ broadcast of the Mexico vs. Chile match on September 6 was the most-viewed soccer match of 3Q14 on all networks since the World Cup, regardless of language. The match delivered an average of 1.9 million Total Viewers and 1.2 million Adults 18-49.
The most-viewed club soccer match of 3Q14 aired September 21 on UniMás. The Chivas-Queretaro matchup delivered an average audience of 1.3 million Total Viewers and 722,000 Adults 18-49. The match delivered +35% more Total Viewers and +36% more Adults 19-49 than the top English Premier League match on NBC between Chelsea-Everton, which aired August 30.
Liga Mexicana Futbol ranks as the most-watched soccer league in the United States among key demos, besting all other soccer leagues on all other networks, regardless of language.
· In the current season, Liga MX on UniMás has outperformed EPL on NBC by +3% among both Total Viewers and Adults 18-49.
UniMás and Univision Deportes Network (UDN) both posted impressive growth with Liga Mexicana Futbol coverage in 3rd quarter.
· On UniMás, viewership for Liga MX increased by +38% among both
Total Viewers and Adults 18-49 vs. prior year, boosted by strong performance of the Chivas team.
· Liga MX on UniMás averaged 862,000 Total Viewers and 482,000 Adults18-49 per match in 3Q14, the most-viewed 3Q of Liga Mx on UniMás since 2008.
· On UDN, Liga MX ratings increased +66% with Total Viewers and +58% with Adults 18-49 vs. year ago.
· Liga MX on UDN averaged a record 259,000 Total Viewers and 158,000 Adults 18-49 per match in 3Q14.
· Liga MX on UDN averaged more viewers than the recently completed Major League Baseball season on MLB Network. Liga MX on UDN bested live MLB games on MLBN by +129% among Adults 18-49.
On the cable front, this was the 6th consecutive quarter of year-to-year growth for UDN, which aired more live events than both ESPN Deportes and Fox Deportes, and scored better ratings.
· UDN aired 9 of the top 10 Spanish-language cable telecasts in 3Q14.
· UDN was up +8% with Total Viewers and +12% with Adults 18-49 in primetime vs. prior year.
· UDN was up +43% with Total Viewers and +39% with Adults 18-49 in total day vs. prior year.
UDN was also the No.1 Spanish-language sports network in 3Q14 in both Total Day and primetime among Total Viewers and Adults 18-49:
· UDN bested ESPN Deportes by +64% and FOX Deportes by +96% among Total Viewers in primetime.
· UDN bested ESPN Deportes by +181% and FOX Deportes by +291% among Adults 18-49 in primetime.
· UDN bested ESPN Deportes by +34% and FOX Deportes by +105% among Total Viewers in Total Day.
· UDN bested ESPN Deportes by +115% and FOX Deportes by +258% among Adults 18-49 in Total Day.
UDN is available in 37.7 million households, the most widely distributed Spanish language sports cable network.
Source: The Nielsen Company, NPM, NPMH, L+SD data.
Broadcasting & Cable Newsletter
The smarter way to stay on top of broadcasting and cable industry. Sign up below
Jessika is content engagement director of Broadcasting + Cable, Multichannel News and NextTV. She has been with the brands in various roles since 2013. In her current role, she works primarily behind the screen, keeping an eye on the website and fixing any site bugs. A graduate of USC Annenberg, Jessika has edited and reported on a variety of subjects for NextTV, including profiles on industry leaders and breaking news.