Cyber attacks on communications networks will likely increase in the next ten years, and a majority of experts polled (61%) say those will include a major attack somewhere in the world by 2025 that causes tens of billions of dollars in damage and "widespread harm to a nation’s security and capacity to defend itself and its people." The other 39% said they thought there would be no such attack, with mitigation efforts keeping pace with the bad guys.
That is according to the Pew Research Center's latest Digital Life in 2025 report, released Wednesday (Oct. 29). It is the latest offering in its ongoing project saluting the 25th anniversary of the creation of the World Wide Web.
The "canvas"—it is not a randomized survey—is based on 1,642 respondents, billed as "experts and Internet builders," all asked for predictions about the future of cybersecurity threats.
Contributing editor John Eggerton has been an editor and/or writer on media regulation, legislation and policy for over four decades, including covering the FCC, FTC, Congress, the major media trade associations, and the federal courts. In addition to Multichannel News and Broadcasting + Cable, his work has appeared in Radio World, TV Technology, TV Fax, This Week in Consumer Electronics, Variety and the Encyclopedia Britannica.
The smarter way to stay on top of broadcasting and cable industry. Sign up below.
Thank you for signing up to Broadcasting & Cable. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.