Heading into the final hours of the year, the American Television Alliance said 2013 was a record one for blackouts.
With ongoing broadcast blackouts involving five different providers in 19 different DMAs, American Television Alliance -- whose membership includes DirecTV, Dish and Time Warner Cable-- put the tally at 127 in 2013, up from 91 in 2012, 51 in 2011 and a dozen in 2010.
As of press time on Dec. 31, ATVA’s list of ongoing blackouts includes:
- Hoak Media vs. Bright House Networks/ABC/Panama City, FL
- Independent Communications Inc. vs. DISH/Fox/Sioux Falls, SD
- Citadel Communications vs. DirecTV/ABC/Lincoln, NB; Sarasota, FL; Providence, RI
- Gormally Broadcasting vs. DirecTV/ ABC, FOX/Springfield, MA
- Bonten Media Group LLC vs. DISH/ABC, NBC, MNT, CW, TMO/Abilene-Sweetwater, TX; Butte-Bozeman, MT; Chico-Redding, CA; Eureka, CA; Greenville, NC; Missoula, MT; San Angelo, TX; Tri-Cities, TN-VA
- Esteem Broadcaster vs. DISH/FOX/Chico-Redding, CA; Eureka, CA; Greenville, NC; Tri-Cities, TN-VA
- Sinclair Broadcast Group vs. Buckeye Cable/NBC/Toledo, OH
The smarter way to stay on top of the multichannel video marketplace. Sign up below.
Thank you for signing up to Multichannel News. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.