NBC News is suspending Brian Williams for six months. Lester Holt will remain in the anchor chair of Nightly News in Williams' absence.
The suspension of the Nightly News anchor, who on Saturday announced that he was taking a leave of absence, comes four days after NBC News president Deborah Turness said the network was conducting an internal investigation into the veracity of Williams' account of an Iraqi war story.
"We have decided today to suspend Brian Williams as Managing Editor and Anchor of NBC Nightly News for six months. The suspension will be without pay and is effective immediately," said Turness. "We let Brian know of our decision earlier today. Lester Holt will continue to substitute Anchor the NBC Nightly News."
The swirl of controversy began last week after military newspaper Stars and Stripes found that Williams had been inaccurately recalling a story from the Iraq war in which he claimed he was on a helicopter that was shot at by ground fire.
Williams admitted to Stars and Stripes that he “misremembered” the 2003 tale, It's a story he has been relating for more than a decade, including to CBS Late Show host David Letterman in 2013. Williams apologized on the Feb. 4 broadcast of the Nightly News.
Williams also came under fire for a 2005 Hurricane Katrina story in which he said he saw a dead body floating in the French Quarter.
Under Williams, who recently signed a new multiyear contract, Nightly News has been the most-watched evening newscast for over five years running.
Torness sent out the following memo to NBC News personnel on Tuesday night:
We have decided today to suspend Brian Williams as Managing Editor and Anchor of NBC Nightly News for six months. The suspension will be without pay and is effective immediately. We let Brian know of our decision earlier today. Lester Holt will continue to substitute Anchor the NBC Nightly News.
Our review, which is being led by Richard Esposito working closely with NBCUniversal General Counsel Kim Harris, is ongoing, but I think it is important to take you through our thought process in coming to this decision.
While on Nightly News on Friday, January 30, 2015, Brian misrepresented events which occurred while he was covering the Iraq War in 2003. It then became clear that on other occasions Brian had done the same while telling that story in other venues. This was wrong and completely inappropriate for someone in Brian’s position.
In addition, we have concerns about comments that occurred outside NBC News while Brian was talking about his experiences in the field.
As Managing Editor and Anchor of Nightly News, Brian has a responsibility to be truthful and to uphold the high standards of the news division at all times.
Steve Burke, Pat Fili and I came to this decision together. We felt it would have been wrong to disregard the good work Brian has done and the special relationship he has forged with our viewers over 22 years. Millions of Americans have turned to him every day, and he has been an important and well-respected part of our organization.
As I’m sure you understand, this was a very hard decision. Certainly there will be those who disagree. But we believe this suspension is the appropriate and proportionate action.
This has been a difficult time. But NBC News is bigger than this moment. You work so hard and dedicate yourselves each and every day to the important work of bringing trusted, credible news to our audience. Because of you, your loyalty, your dedication, NBC News is an organization we can – and should - all be proud of. We will get through this together.
Steve Burke asked me to share the following message.
“This has been a painful period for all concerned and we appreciate your patience while we gathered the available facts. By his actions, Brian has jeopardized the trust millions of Americans place in NBC News. His actions are inexcusable and this suspension is severe and appropriate. Brian’s life’s work is delivering the news. I know Brian loves his country, NBC News and his colleagues. He deserves a second chance and we are rooting for him. Brian has shared his deep remorse with me and he is committed to winning back everyone’s trust.”
The smarter way to stay on top of the multichannel video marketplace. Sign up below.
Thank you for signing up to Multichannel News. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.