E! Entertainment Television is launching an eight-part docu-series, Boulevard of Broken Dreams,next month, officials said Monday.
The new half-hour show comes from the producers of E!'s signature series, The E! True Hollywood Story, and itdebuts Jan. 22 in the 10:30 p.m. time slot
Boulevard of Broken Dreams seeks to uncover real-life stories of foul play, heartbreak and untimely death in Hollywood, as well as the comeback stories of celebrities who overcame great adversity to get back in the game.
Complete with rare videos and new interviews from family members, friends and experts, real-life stories revealed in this eight-part docu-series include:
• Niki and Krissy Taylor: With a story that is equal parts fame, fortune and tragedy, the Taylors are the Kennedys of modeling. They were supermodel sisters on the fast track to mega-stardom until Krissy's sudden death at age 17 from a rare heart condition. Niki went to rehab to treat an addiction to pain killers, and later was in a near-fatal car accident. Despite these obstacles, Niki is back on top of the modeling world.
• Chris Penn: Younger brother of actor Sean Penn, Chris made his mark as one of Hollywood's best young character actors. But struggles with booze, drugs and excessive weight kept Chris off the top of the A-list. Few were shocked when he died at 40 from an enlarged heart. Traces of codeine, cocaine and marijuana were found in his body at the time of death.
• Glenn Quinn: Irish-American actor who had major roles on hit TV series Angel and Roseanne died at age 32 from an overdose of heroin.
• Leif Garrett: Teen idol whose career came to a halt after a car accident he caused left his friend, Roland Winkler, paralyzed and a negligence lawsuit ensued. Garrett was later sentenced to rehab and jail time after heroin was found in his possession.
• Lauryn Hill: Her first solo rhythm-and-blues album sold 12 million copies. After taking advice from spiritual advisor Brother Anthony and firing her management team, Hill broke down during an MTV Unplugged performance, saying, "I'm crazy and deranged … I'm emotionally unstable." She has yet to finish her second solo album, which she began in 2003.
The smarter way to stay on top of the multichannel video marketplace. Sign up below.
Thank you for signing up to Multichannel News. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.