DirecTV Group was victorious in a Federal District Court Wednesday.
Judge William H. Pauley III of the Southern District of New York dismissed Darlene Investments’ fraud action against the direct-broadcast satellite provider and declared Darlene liable for its breach of contract.
The case involved a series of transactions between DirecTV and Darlene in connection with DirecTV Latin America's emergence from bankruptcy in February 2004. Darlene -- which is owned by The Cisneros Group and Bessemer Holdings -- had been seeking more than $1 billion in damages.
DirecTV said it will seek to recover all of its legal fees and expenses related to the lawsuit. A separate arbitration proceeding between the parties is scheduled to begin in January.
"DirecTV is very pleased with the court decision," general counsel Larry D. Hunter said in a prepared statement. "The decision confirms that Darlene's allegations were without merit and that this claim should never have been filed."
The smarter way to stay on top of the multichannel video marketplace. Sign up below.
Thank you for signing up to Multichannel News. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.