Apple devices – from the Apple TV and Macs to iPhones and iPads – are the top choice for authenticated TV Everywhere video starts, according to a new study from Adobe.
Per the latest Adobe Digital Index (ADI), 29% of all TVE video starts originate from an iPad, and more than 60% of all TV Everywhere starts come from an Apple product, whether that’s from an iPhone, iPad, Apple TV or Mac computer.
As the chart above shows, those starts outpace what Adobe is seeing from platforms that include smart TVs, Roku devices, Android smartphones and tablets and gaming consoles.
Among other findings, the report, which based its findings on visits across more than 10,000 websites, 2.67 billion TVE authentications, and 191 billion total online video starts, found a 2% increase in the overall share of mobile visits to U.S. sites – from 35% to 37% -- driven by the smartphone category and the emergence of larger “phablet” products such as the iPhone 6+.
Popularity of phablets are having an effect on tablet market share, which is down 5.5% -- from 9.1% to 8.6% -- of U.S. site visits, which Apple’s iPad taking the biggest hit, dropping from 7.2% to 6.6%.
“Phablets are ultimately relegating tablets to niche uses,” ADI principal Tamara Gaffney said, in a statement.
Adobe also presented some new data on the Apple Watch ahead of today’s Apple media event, which is expected to focus on the new gadget, which was unveiled last September.
Based on a survey of more than 1,000 U.S. consumers, ADI also found that 27% of consumers who own a smartphone or tablet and don’t currently own a smart watch are likely or very likely to buy one in the next six months. Of those, 67% said they would also be likely/very likely to purchase one of Apple’s new models.
The smarter way to stay on top of the multichannel video marketplace. Sign up below.
Thank you for signing up to Multichannel News. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.