The National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences last Thursday announced the winners of its 58th annual Science, Technology & Engineering Emmy Awards for Broadcast Television as well as nominations for its Science, Technology & Engineering Emmy Awards for Broadband and Personal Television categories.
NATAS also bestowed a lifetime achievement award on Eddy Hartenstein, the former president and CEO of DirecTV, which he had headed from its inception in 1990.
Here are the winners in each of the six Broadcast Television categories:
- Pioneering Development of On Screen Display for Setup, Control and Configuration of Consumer Television Equipment: RCA.
- Streaming Media Architectures and Components: Microsoft, Adobe Systems, Real-Networks, Apple Computer.
- Pioneering Development for Combining Multiple Transport Streams Which Are Already Encoded, Using Rate-Shaping and Statistical Remultiplexing: Terayon Communication Systems.
- Development and Implementation of Automatically Assembled Dynamic Customized TV Advertising: Visible World, The Weather Channel.
- Technology Advances in Serial Digital Interface Solutions, Enabling Over 20 Years of Seamless Studio and Broadcast Infrastructure Migration: Gennum Corp.
- Privately Owned and Operated International Satellite Company Primarily for International Video Services: Rene Anselmo of PanAmSat.
NATAS also announced nominations in seven Broadband & Personal Television categories. Among them are:
- Outstanding Achievement in Advanced Media Technology for the Synchronous Enhancement of Original Television Content: DirecTV’s Interactive Sports, HSN’s Shop by Remote, NBC Olympics Now by Biap Systems.
- Outstanding Achievement in Advanced Media Technology for the Non-Synchronous Enhancement of Original Television Content: CNN Enhanced by Turner Broadcasting System, Fantasy Football Tracker by BIAP Systems, NBC.com’s Passions Vendetta, “Sopranos: Crime. Organized” by Deep Focus, “The Cultivated Life: Thomas Jefferson & Wine” by NetBlender, Nickelodeon’s The-N.com Video Mixer.
The technology and engineering Emmy awards will be presented formally at the 2007 International Consumer Electronics Show, held on Jan. 8 in Las Vegas.
Weekly digest of streaming and OTT industry news
Thank you for signing up to Multichannel News. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.